Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Back from Italy

Leigh and I made it back from Italy more or less unscathed. For details check out my website, just click on the various cities to read about our travels there and see pictures.

In all we had a good time, though we could have done without quite a bit of Italian attitude moments and some bad weather toward the end. Also, Vatican City was kind of a necessary annoyance. You know how there are some things you simply MUST see or do when you travel somewhere? That's kind of how it was at Vatican City. Before we even got in the front door I didn't really care enough about the Sistine Chapel to put up with the indignant attitudes, but I decided to swallow my pride and sense of self-worth to see it and then hauled ass out of their "separate state" in time to get over my irritation and enjoy Rome for the afternoon and evening. Our visit to Pompeii was fantastic and I found Rome to be enchanting overall. We are hoping to visit Cinque Terre for a long weekend since we were rained out of our hiking plans on Monday.

Anyway, it was pretty fun and I'm glad we spent some time there. We're already starting to brainstorm about our Christmas trip and some fun weekends- maybe the Swizz Alps, Barcelona, and/or Provence depending on time/money/etc.

Leigh and I went to a local restaurant in Vieille Ville last night and enjoyed typical local food. I tried soupe de poisson, a traditional Cote d'Azur starter, which was yummy and we also had steak and fries with a ratatouille-type vegetable dish on the side. We finished off with a French dessert each. It was a little spendy compared to what we usually spend on food, but we were celebrating my passing the Alaska Bar Exam. Plus I had been wanting to have an evening out in Antibes since I arrived at the end of September and now I finally have a date for that sort of thing! : )

Back to work tomorrow morning. I have all my regular classes plus a few new ones AND I've volunteered to spend about two hours per week helping put together the 4eme class play with my Canadian counterpart and an English teacher at the school. I'm pretty excited about the play and curious about my new classes, though I'm really looking forward to getting completely settled into my schedule so it's more second nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment