Tuesday, September 7, 2010

New Job, New City, New Life

So I guess I live in Anchorage now...

Our little apartment has come together nicely. We have successfully purchased a great, like new, blue couch with a hideabed and a red "leather" love seat. They look awesome together in our tiny living room. We also bought some odds and ends like side tables and a mattress set. Now all we need is a bed frame, side tables and dressers so we can finally move our clothes out of our suitcases. It's looking pretty good so far. Unfortunately we're completely tapped out for cash, so the remainder of our purchases will have to wait until I get paid/reimbursed for travel/we get an unexpected generous gift of some sort. Anyway, it's great to have furniture.

I started my clerkship last Thursday, worked two days, then had a three day weekend. So far government work is pretty fabulous. It's way too early to say how much I'll enjoy this position, but my predecessor said multiple times how much fun he had and everyone I work with seems to be very agreeable and they even have full-scale senses of humor! Who'da thought?

We spent Labor Day enjoying some lovely sunny weather and walked for about an hour on the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail from downtown. This inspired me to research whether I could ride my bike to work from our apartment in midtown on Lake Otis Parkway. It turned out to be entirely possible! I'd ride on the bike path/sidewalk on Lake Otis Parkway for two miles, then take the Chester Creek Trail to the west side of town before biking to my downtown office location on the Tony Knowles Trail. Perfect! It would take about 30 minutes and right now my car commute is about 20 minutes due to traffic, so it seems like a great alternative. The best part is I'll save money on gas and be guaranteed some exercise every day that the weather isn't too shitty to bike.

Now I just need a bike....

No comments:

Post a Comment