Monday, October 10, 2011

Fall Frenzy

Our weeks are consistently busy and exhausting, but I can't complain, not for a second. Making plans with friends avoids any week from becoming mundane. Even the rare week when we only have one or two things going on is special because it means we get to relax or focus on cleaning the house or something. The times when we make commitments to friends are special because it helps us grow roots in our new home, plus it keeps us laughing and enjoying other people. Having Cannellle Puppy is a huge part of this too. She has her own little friends who we often make plans with at our house. Last week we even started taking her to a free play hour at a nearby doggie daycare facility. It's good to have a socialized, tired puppy!

This weekend was no exception. On Saturday we had a puppy play date with Cannelle's BFF Gaia and her parents. We had coffee and breakfast in the kitchen while the pups wrestled in the lawn. After the play date Leigh and I ran errands and had lunch downtown. That evening we tackled our overgrown flower bed (weed beds?) and started replanting them with tulips, daffodils and hyacinths. By Sunday afternoon we had completely weeded and planted the big side flower bed and the front flower bed. I even figured out a way to make what little fencing the previous owner left us long enough to protect the entire flower bed from Cannelle's digging tendency. Next spring we'll attack the other raised beds to plant indigenous bush plants and vegetables.

This morning I knew I would be the only one in the office, so I slept in an got to work just before 9am (as opposed to 8am). It was great to have enough extra time this morning for breakfast and some tasks. For the past week Cannelle has been sleeping in her kennel that I tucked into my closet. She seemed to like it well enough- it's dark, warm and she can hear us breathing at night. But I can hear her fidgeting and always assume she has to pee, so I'll get up a few times per night to let her out for a potty break. Needless to say she's getting spoiled and I'm not getting enough sleep. So this morning I moved her kennel downstairs to a new spot: the unused corner of the living room behind our loveseat. I showed Cannelle her new "bedroom" and she took to it right away- carrying into the kennel, the running back to retrieve them and show them to me.

As slow as work has been the past two weeks, everything else has been accelerating at a nice clip. For the rest of this month Leigh and I have a series of commitments to attend to including social events, puppy-sitting for two different friends, and various meetings of social and professional natures. Gone are the days of coming home from work or school to veg out in front of the TV and only rarely make plans beyond that. Instead we're downright social and starting to make commitments to our friends and community. This is adulthood, I guess.

Now I just need to re-focus on my health and fitness- this beautiful Fall weather won't last forever! This call for an afternoon bike ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment