Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Graduation, moving and such

My road trip with Leigh is coming to a close tomorrow. We drove from Buffalo to Florida and back again with several stops in between. I'll post more about the trip with pictures later, but basically it was a lot of driving for very little reward. We're choosing to look at the bright side that we got to do a few fun things and spend some time together. 

Graduation is Saturday afternoon. My dad and step-mom are stopping by on their drive from Virginia to Maine to visit my grandparents. I have a sneaking suspicion the entire experience will be anti-climactic, if not generally disappointing. For some reason my graduations tend to have less than peppy themes. I am preparing for a shitty day complete with a very long speech from the prime minister of Kenya. 

I changed my flight to Anchorage from May 25 to June 1. I have several reasons for this: first, my class does not start in person until June 1. Prior to that we will have web lectures, which I can do from Buffalo. This will allow me much needed time to organize my things for the move and relax a little. Plus it gives me more time in Buffalo, which I was hoping for (ironically, this is the first time I have ever hoped for more time in Buffalo since moving there in 2006). 

Leigh and I spent today in Grundy, VA relaxing and playing with cats at Leigh's mother's house. It was really nice to take a day off after driving close to 18 hours (with stops) in one day. Leigh's grandmother cooked us dinner and we went to see Star Trek (two adult tickets, popcorn and a soda for $15, can you beat that? I didn't think so!). For the record, the movie was fantastic. I'm not a huge Star Trek fan but I do enjoy space-based sci-fi movies and this one really delivered. Good writing, funny moments, lots of explosions and at least four or five climactic scenes. My inner dork was very pleased (um, now that I think about it I might just be a dork overall, forget the "inner" aspect). 

Leigh's birthday is tomorrow so it was nice for her to get to see her grandparents and father this time of year since she usually has the most work to do in the early summer months. We're going to try to hit the road by noon tomorrow to be back in Buffalo between 8 and 10 pm. After the madness of this weekend I'm hoping we can just do some fun, relaxing stuff all of next week, but I can't forget that I have to start my bar study course on Monday! Ah! Where did the time go?!

More on the road trip later....

No comments:

Post a Comment