Monday, December 28, 2009

Paris

Leigh and I arrived in Paris late on the night of Dec 24th. Christmas Day was pretty low key, but we still found the energy to see the Eiffel Tower and Arc d Triumph. We took Sunday off completely to rest after 8 days straight of traveling and touring. Today was a fun time because my roommate Sam and her boyfriend came to Paris to see Le Comedie Francaise and to do the Paris Free Tour with us. So far I think we've seen most of the central Paris area and Leigh and I saw Montmartre on our own too. Tomorrow we are planning to visit Versailles for the day and the following day we're hitting as many museums in Paris as possible. There's just so much to see!

I'm really enjoying this extended trip. Every day is like a gift where I get to see and do things that most young Americans only read about, watch shows on TV or look at photos on the Internet. I have been googling and planning these trips for so long that this is like one extended, massive gift receiving session to get to partake in so many things at once. For example, today I saw three palaces and tomorrow I will see one of the greatest palaces in all of Europe. On Wednesday I will see some of the greatest art the world has ever known, including some of my very favorite painters (the Impressionists, of course!). The combination of a small, yet diverse, land area with so many cultures and social movements in its past makes Europe a truly amazing place and it makes me just about the luckiest girl alive.

Being here also makes me appreciate my own culture more. I find myself missing certain American things, particularly social behaviors, food and cost of living. When I lived in the US I never felt particularly American or non-American or anything else, but after having lived here for a few months I have realized how very North American I really am. I love my country, but as I grow older I recognize and mourn the things we at which are failing. This time in France so far has been wonderful and I have learned a lot. The new sights, sounds, and flavors bring me so much joy to experience, but in a few months I will be more than ready to return to America, my home for better or for worse. I think it's safe to say that after this time in Europe I'll never be the same again.

No comments:

Post a Comment