Saturday, December 12, 2009

Thank God It's Saturday

This week was kind of rough. For some reason I haven't been sleeping well and I've had a lot on my mind, plus I've managed to spend all of my days off running errands recently and never sleeping in or relaxing. Yesterday was particularly difficult because I wasn't meant to teach until 13:00 but I was asked to attend play rehearsal for the 4eme class at 8:00. It wound up being a 10 hour day of teaching and being at work and an even longer day because I had a few tasks after that.

Play rehearsal went pretty well. Not perfect, of course, because these are little kids and they can be difficult to work with and generally undisciplined, but pretty great. I remember when I was about their age our class did plays that were about 20 minutes long and usually involved more than half the class with nonspeaking roles, no lighting, no sound effects, and shitty costumes. Plus the subject matter was typically something silly and lighthearted. A lot of kids wind up playing roles like a carrot or a tooth or something at that age too.

The play we're putting together is totally different though. It's based on a book written for children about the Holocaust which my roommate adapted into a script (it's really brilliant) then figured out how to make an ensemble piece so the characters are played by multiple children, everyone speaks at some point, and even when a child isn't an actual character they make the stage look like a forest or something with various body positions. We've all worked really hard to get this thing put together and it opens on Monday morning! So exciting!

So yesterday I helped with rehearsal from 8:00 till about 11:00 and then had a break until my first class at 13:00. My last class didn't end until 18:00 and then I had a long bus ride home in traffic. When I got home I had exactly 45 minutes to eat dinner and suck down two cups of tea to gain a second wind before I had a job interview over the phone for a position in Anchorage.

To my surprise I was being interviewed by three people simultaneously on a three-way call, but of course one person did most of the talking. I think the interview went well but they were up front by saying they had a few others they were considering for the job and would let me know in a week. It would be so great to have something lined up for next fall, but I guess if it doesn't pan out I won't have lost anything. I'll still work in Washington this summer and head to Alaska in August to start looking for work while I get settled in my new home.

Today I'm hanging around the house in the morning to take care of a few things and then Leigh and I are going to check out a long hike on the Cap I keep hearing about. Supposedly it's pretty strenuous but the view is amazing. I'm pumped! I could really use the exercise and sunshine after this week and before tomorrow, which is going to be a forced lazy day because everything is closed.

The only other news is that I only have two more days of teaching before my holiday! We fly to Geneva on Friday morning. We'll be in Switzerland by 9:30 and to our chalet/hostel by about 14:00 even with delays. Europe is so cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment