Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Plush Gun and The Cliks

Not the state the obvious, but I LOVE The Cliks. I also LOVE the lead singer, Lucas Silveira. He's a great singer/songwriter, has great hair and tattoos and is generally a total badass. Anyway, they played the Mercury Lounge last night for an early show. I took my new friends Michelle and Kate, even though they'd never heard of The Cliks. 


The opening act was called Plush Gun. They had a nice house/rock blend sound to their music. Kind of like Fall Out Boy but less commercial sounding. It was a nice surprise to hear a good opening act and the band members were extremely friendly.

Then my lovely Lucas and the girls took the stage. He's even sexier in person, but I digress. I've heard The Cliks live once before and thought they were good, but the venue sucked so I didn't get the full effect. This was a very small venue and I was RIGHT UP FRONT, so I got to fully appreciate the music and the view. Michelle and Kate made fun of me for my crush throughout the evening, but I didn't mind. 


The band played several new songs for an album that comes out in June including one called "Emily." Yes, that made my day completely. Plus they did a great version of "Oh Yeah" that started out acoustic and midway through they plugged in a rocked it out big time. 


The bassist was great too and she and Lucas seem to have a great repoire on stage. 

Oh yeah, and Cindy Lauper and her sister showed up! Cindy is a friend of the band and has actually done a lot to promote them and booked The Cliks on the True Colors tour last year. That was awesome. The crowd went nuts. Cindy and her sister sang backup for a song and did a little dance. 

Cindy again.

Lucas talking to someone in Cindy's crowd after the show. He's really friendly. I talked to him really briefly while he was wrapping up his chords and he was really cool even though I was being an annoying fan ("can I get your picture?!"). 


At the merchandise table the band was doing pictures and selling tshirts. I got a few pictures (this is the only good one) and bought a tshirt. In all a great show and really fun experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment