Friday, July 30, 2010

My Stolen Day

Wow, a whole day to myself?! Whatever will I do?!

Typically Fridays are spent driving roundtrip from Seattle to Rock Island to get more fruit for the weekend markets. I have been accompanying Leigh for a few weeks now out of love and kindness, but this has proven exhausting for both of us and we wind up spending a whole day in the truck getting nothing else done. Plus I don't get paid for my time, so it's really just been to keep her company. Since we are going to Portland on Monday and Tuesday we won't have those days to catch up on things around the house or run errands. With this in mind I chose to stay in Seattle today so I can get some work done on the library, clean the house, do some cooking and baking, and run a few other errands. Plus I got to sleep a little later and relax. At least one of us will have some energy going into the weekend...

My To Do List is long and varied but mostly involves some officey type tasks at the library, a few business tasks at the house and some wifey duties like cleaning the bathroom and making some food for us to munch on throughout the weekend. My list gets me thinking about how different this summer has been from what I had imagined it to be. Let me recap my list of things I wanted to accomplish this summer and note the ones I have actually gotten around to:

1. Work a lot, save money (CHECK)
2. Practice French with other francophiles ( HALF-CHECK: um, this happened once. Now I always work when these groups are meeting)
3. Start learning German, up to Level Two maybe (FAIL: I've learned a few vocabulary words and about 6 or 7 verbs but I don't have the time or energy for this)
4. Read In Europe by Geert Mak (CHECK: I should have this 800+ book finished in a week or so)
5. Catch up on lots of reading, maybe a book per week (FAIL- no time/energy)
6. See a Seattle Storm game (FAIL)
7. See a Mariner's game (FAIL)
8. Hike at Mount Rainier (FAIL)
9. Visit Portland (DOUBLE CHECK)
10. Spend a day at Alki Beach (does taking a 1 hour walk along the water count?)
11. Go for sushi (FAIL)
12. Enjoy the nightlife (FAIL)
13. Make new friends (FAIL: I only ever spend time with Leigh, my grandparents and whoever is my neighbor at a given farmer's market; then I go home and crash after a 10-12 hour day)
14. "Vacation" in eastern Washington (rafting the Wenatchee River, "Get Down German Style" in Bavarian Leavenworth)
15. Eat well, work hard (DOUBLE, TRIPLE, QUADRUPLE CHECK!!!)

So basically I FAIL at summer. In my defense, it's not over yet. Leigh and I have plans to fit in a Mariner's game and hopefully a Storm game also. We REALLY want to hike at Rainier, but it looks like Leigh's hours are about to increase to working 6 days per week. Hopefully we can take a few days off before we leave for Anchorage to do some vacationy things like that.

In the end I can't really complain because our primary objective was to work a lot to save money and have fun, which we are generally doing. We get to watch Seattle pass us by every day from our farmer's market booths. We eat well from the local, organic ingredients we buy and trade for everyday, we get tons of exercise and appreciate our down time more than we ever have before. So here's to looking at the bright side of things...

No comments:

Post a Comment