Sunday, June 10, 2012

Introducing Our First Child


In February Leigh told me she was really ready to try getting pregnant. We've talked about this for years, but always had a reason to wait. But when someone feels ready (and there's no obvious reason it's a bad idea), they're just ready. So we did the research, found an anonymous donor through a reputable cryo bank, and inseminated in March. Leigh tested pregnant a few days later!

She's 12 weeks pregnant now, so the highest risk weeks are over. Until now we've just told a handful of friends and our immediate family. Now that we're pretty much in the clear, we can celebrate this wonderful event with the world!

On Friday we had our 12-week OB appointment and got to see the baby again (the doctor had a hard time finding the heartbeat with the sonogram). The picture here is from our 8-week visit when Baby looked like a lima bean, but now Baby looks like a real live BABY! Baby even jumped a couple of times for us and we got to see it on the ultrasound. The doctor says Baby probably had the hiccups. I've seen and done a lot of really cool things in my life so far, but seeing that 2 1/2 inch long, 1 oz baby move on the screen in real time was easily the coolest and most exciting thing I've ever seen. I wish I'd gotten a picture, but oh well. We'll get a 3-D image at 20 weeks when we learn the sex.

I won't blog about Baby too terribly much because I'm keeping a tumblr about our experience getting pregnant and the pregnancy experience itself. But I wanted to share the good news, just in case anyone reads this who isn't also on my Facebook list.

Today was an awesome day because we celebrated gay Pride at the Park Strip in Anchorage. We took Cannelle the puppy with us, where she enjoyed attention from adults and small children alike. It was really fun to see the spectacle, even though Anchorage Pride is really small and the music was, well, terrible. Anyway, the whole time I was thinking about how next year we'll take Cannelle and our 6-month old to Pride.

Life is about to change in every way, forever, and I couldn't be happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment