Monday, August 10, 2009

Seattle Farmers Markets, Rock Island Farming

I flew from Anchorage to Seattle last Monday on a red-eye. It was easily the most uncomfortable way to travel a would-be 3 hours by air. My overnight flight involved a delayed departure, layover in Salt Lake (which lasted the 5 minutes it took me to run from one gate to another) and a flight to Seattle. Needless to say I crashed as soon as I got to my grandparent's house in West Seattle.

I started working on Wednesday, selling organic fruit and products at farmer's markets. It's a really great job with fair pay, lots of hours, and a pretty busy environment so the hours go by fast. It's hard work too, so I'm getting tons of exercise and enjoying being outdoors. I'm also sleeping really well because I'm so tired at the end of the day and it's so nice being with family again.

My cousin Paul was in Seattle on business at the end of last week, so I spent my days off with him. We ate good food, drank local beer, visited the Space Needle and the Experience Music Project, which I'd never done in spite of having visited/lived in Seattle on a many occassions. We also got together with a friend from my BarBri class and her sister for dinner and drinks, which was really fun. It was great to see him and have someone to enjoy the city with.

After a long weekend of working farmer's markets I accompanied my grandfather to the farm in Rock Island last night. My grandma and I have plans to visit my cousin and her new baby tomorrow and I always enjoy my time at the farm. On the off chance there is extra work around the farm today or tomorrow I will get some extra hours in, too, but if not I'll just enjoy my two days off here in the desert surrounded by orchards on the banks of the Columbia River.

It's been a bit of an adjustment since arriving. In Anchorage I had a certain routine and many restrictions to what I could do due to several factors. I was also starting to make some really great friends in Anchorage and will be happy to pick up those friendships again when I return next to Alaska next year. In Seattle I've been able to reconnect with family and make a few new friends at the markets. Not studying every day is very odd right now, but I'm reading for pleasure a lot and soon I'll start doing a home study refresher course in French. I also have very limited access to the internet, which is a pain in the ass but is teaching me patience at the same time. I also have more personal space at the house in West Seattle and more access to creature comforts. Plus I get to do cool stuff like trade our family's produce for fresh salmon and vegetables at the markets. In all I'm very glad to be here this month before returning to the east coast and preparing to go abroad.

Back to work on Wednesday! Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment