Sunday, September 27, 2009

France in 3-2-1

Wow, I leave for France on Tuesday morning. Crazy!

Leigh and I have been spending this final weekend trying desperately to get her apartment packed up so she doesn't have to do too much after I'm gone. We've sold 90% of our stuff and have given away 4 plastic tubs of clothes and books. It's looking pretty good. With any luck Leigh will sell the last 10% of our stuff next week and will only have to do some minimal packing and cleaning on her own before vacating the apartment and driving our stuff to Virginia for storage.

Aside from all this mundane work, we've been trying to enjoy these last few days together before being apart for a month. On Friday we went to Niagara Falls and went on Maid of the Mist. It was my first time and Leigh's third time (she went once when her grandmother visited and again when her mother and grandmother visited last month). Even though I usually avoid touristy stuff, Maid of the Mist was seriously fun. It was $14.50 CAD for 30 minutes of boating fun. The boat tells you a little bit about the Falls, a few stories about people surviving going down the Falls, and then it takes you so close to the falls that you get seriously drenched. The volume of water and the sounds coming off the Falls are really something else. I was so happy I was able to do that before moving away from the Buffalo area.

We also saw Taking Woodstock at the $3.50 theater, which was a really fun movie. The 60's flashback aspect is fantastic, the characters are interesting, good acting, funny one-liners and the main character is a young gay Jewish man, which is cool. I really liked that the movie has a gay main character but it's not a gay movie. He just is, which is more true to life than all the movies out there about coming out and activism and stuff. For most gay people being gay is just one aspect of life. I don't lead a gay life, it's just one more thing about me that I am. I'm in a lesbian relationship but I'm also a lot of other things. Anyway, I digress....

We've also been catching up with friends before leaving town. A few days ago Leigh and I had dinner with my law school friend Bianca. It was the first time Leigh and Bianca had met, which was fun, and I always enjoy seeing her. Last night our friend Damian came over to chill out on the floor with us and visit for a while before I leave town. He's been a good friend to have and we're going to miss him. We've invited him to visit us in France and I hope he is able to do that. Then this afternoon Leigh and I had brunch with another law school friend, Jennifer, and her new boyfriend. That was fun too because I hadn't seen Jennifer probably since January.

The rest of the day is dedicated to packing and such, of course, but tonight we're doing an at home date. Leigh bought some yummy stuff to cook for dinner (surf and turf with her famous mac'n'cheese and steamed asparagus...yum!) and we're going to watch "L'auberge Espanole," a French movie that takes place in Barcelona. I saw it once in college and really liked it. It'll be good for us to hear colloquial French and the movie depicts a few very French characteristics like bureaucracy in institutions and the French attitude about things like fidelity, work, family, etc. It'll be a good cultural crash course for us...and the movie is funny too!

Well, I should probably stop laying around and do my part. Next time I blog I'll likely be in France. Woohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment