Monday, February 14, 2011

Good Weekend, Bummer Monday

This weekend was really great. Leigh and I got our new X-C skis from the shop on Friday after work and immediately took them for a spin at Kincaid Park. This was our first time on our new skis and we were skiing by streetlamp, so we decided to stay in the stadium and ski laps and hills to test them out. They were a bit different from our rentals, but really nice equipment. We were pleased.

Saturday morning I weighed myself and was so happy to see I was 2.6 pounds lighter than last week! Crazy! After nearly 3 weeks of no change I couldn't have been more surprised. Then Leigh and I had a healthy breakfast before meeting some friends to go skiing again. From 11:30 till 1:30 we did laps, gave some basic (and hopefully useful) instruction to our friends, and then got up the courage to try a trail for the first time. We only skied the trail for about 40 minutes, but it was a great experience! We both fell on hills a few times. One of my falls was downright epic, complete with speed and colliding solidly with the packed snow on my right side. Ouch! Anyway, I'm really excited to be starting trails now. Hopefully by next winter I'll be half-decent at this sport.

After skiing Leigh and I and the Tuckers hit up Snow City Cafe for a yummy and decadent lunch. This was my "birthday meal" where I was going to order whatever looked good and refuse to feel guilty about it. Leigh and I both went a little crazy and wound up sharing our meals and taking a lot of food home. It was delicious and so fun with friends! The rest of the day we ran errands and then went home to collapse. Sunday we both woke up feeling a little bit sick, which turned into a whole day of taking it easy and feeling icky. Leigh made homemade chicken noodle soup, with whole grain rotini, which might just be a miracle medicine because I felt a lot better afterwards.
She also broke down and made my "birthday dessert" because I was whining about having a sweet tooth. After much ado, Leigh made me a little pan of the most delicious brownies ever! She made them from scratch and the recipe called for my favorite chocolate products: Nutella and Lindt dark chocolate with a touch of sea salt. Delicious! Decadent! Soooo not "clean" eating! I will have to ski my rear-end off this week to make up for it, but honestly, it was worth every calorie. Only negative is that they're very rich and I anticipate them being around the house for the rest of the week, so the gluttony will continue!


Today, Monday, Leigh is downright ill and I'm feeling pretty icky myself. I'd planned to go skiing alone or with a colleague this evening, but I don't know if I should. When I was a swimmer I believed in swimming through the illness because the exercise seemed to work the ickiness out of your system faster (unless it was a stomache flu, then swimming just led to vomiting in the pool gutter). But these cold weather, outdoor sports really do a number on my throat and achy muscles when I'm not feeling well, so maybe it's better to abstain for one more day and get back to it on Tuesday evening? I just don't know...

No comments:

Post a Comment