Thursday, February 3, 2011

Thursday Should Be Renamed to "Almost Friday"

I feel the need to rescind part of my previous post regarding my officemate. While it remains true that I felt quite put out by some of her behavoir in past weeks, I want to make it clear that she is not perpetually unpleasant. The past few days are a prime example. She has been downright pleasant and thoughtful and even offered an explanation for taking my files last week (she said she knew I had more pressing matters and wanted to get them out the door). So yeah, I feel a tiny bit bad about venting about her. Probably along the same lines as being pissed at your college roommate then getting over it a few days later.

This week has been pretty good so far. I've done some substantial work, cleared a few files off my desk and even had the chance to work for two of my judges from whom I rarely get assignments. The best part was when one of the judges requested me personally. That was awesome. This morning I mediated a complicated case where one party had an attorney AND was extremely difficult to work with. In the end we came to a settlement. That was so rewarding and I'm pretty sure everyone was happy with the outcome. Those moments make my job amazing. Tomorrow I have what will hopefully be the final, final, final hearing from a long criminal trial. It will feel amazing to put that one to bed and move on to other topics, especially considering that criminal is not my first choice of practice areas.

Aside from work, I have very little going on. My birthday is about 2 weeks away and the gluttony has already begun. Last month a friend took me to lunch thinking my birthday was January 16 (as opposed to Feb 16), and that was sort of the beginning of things. Since then every week or so I've gotten a gift from Leigh or used it as an excuse to eat something I shouldn't! Yesterday my "little gift" arrived in the mail and of course Leigh couldn't wait to give it to me. I am now the proud owner of a pair of casual Steve Madden boots. They weren't the style that made me first want a pair of casual boots, but I like these just as much and they were under $40, so I who can say no?
For my actual birthday I have requested a massage from our athletic club and a big, unhealthy breakfast from Snow City Cafe. I'm also insisting on wine and paté one evening and something cooked by Chef Leigh, though I haven't decided on the menu yet. I don't think I've made such a big deal over my birthday in years, so it's kind of fun to use this as an excuse for excess!

With all this talk of unhealthy food, I think I should note that Leigh and I are doing a pretty good job of sticking with the Eat-Clean lifestyle. It's true that we slip up in little ways on a pretty regular basis. However, I think having a generally healthy diet can make up for a few"food sins" throughout the week. What we really need to do is go to the gym more often. This is our third week in a row of only going twice during the week, three times at most. We really should go 4-5 times to see a lot of progress.
Speaking of the gym, it's now 16h30 here in Anchorage and quitting time for me. That means I'm heading across the street to the gym to put in some serious work out time. It's the least I can do after skipping the last two days, followed by splitting an order of french fries with Leigh at lunch today!

A bientot!

No comments:

Post a Comment