Friday, June 3, 2011

Memorial

On Tuesday morning Leigh wasn't feeling very well as we left for work. I told her to call me if she needed me to drive her home early. Around 9:30 she called me at work. I asked if she was sick and did she need to go home. "No," she said. "My dad died." He was found in his home, most likely having had a heart attack the night before. His death was completely unexpected.

I left my office immediately and picked Leigh up at work. We went home, we called family in Virginia and made a game plan. By 4:30 that afternoon we were on an eastbound flight. First Seattle, then Atlanta overnight, then finally Tri-cities Bristol. Leigh's brother and sister flew into Tri-cities as well, one from New York City and one from Las Vegas. Leigh's mom met us all there and we made our way to their childhood home.

The three children, her father's next of kin, spent the next few days making preparations for the memorial service and signing some legal documents. The family shifted between tears, breakdowns, laughing and telling stories. Being amongst them while they grieved such an unexpected loss made me realize their strength and ability to heal quickly with each other's help. An entire day was spent sorting through family photos and choosing some for the service that best described Leigh's father and his outlook on life. The result was a nice service where half the town stopped by to extend their condolences and tell a few stories about Leigh's father. She held up well through the whole process, sneaking off for a breath of fresh air from time to time or talking to me privately when she needed a break from the masses of people who came out to pay their respects.

Tonight my dad is meeting us to drive me to Charlotte for a flight back. Leigh is spending one more night with her family and then riding to Charlotte with her grandmother and sister. We'll fly back together, but wanted some time with our respective families while we are on the East Coast. I did not expect to see my father until Christmas, a year and a half between visits, so this is a rare opportunity for me. Leigh understood completely, especially considering her own loss. I think we better understand how delicate life, and the relationships we cherish during our lives, can be.

1 comment:

  1. Just wanted to let you know I'm thinking about you two. I'm so sorry for y'all's loss.

    ReplyDelete