Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Hey Juneau, you left your rainy weather in Anchorage!

We are having some seriously icky weather here in Anchorage. While I know it's a myth that rainy weather makes people ill, I'm pretty sure this wet and coldness can be blamed for my scratchy throat and lack of energy. Monday I was feeling really rundown and failed to sleep well that night. No idea what the problem is, but by Tuesday I was about at my wit's end, so I did the most sensible thing and went to bed at 8pm. Nearly 12 hours of sleep, even if I did wake up a few times, really did the trick. Today I'm feeling a lot better, though not certain that whatever ickiness I have is completely gone. I'll have to continue fighting it with lots of hot tea and tasty, healthy treats. For example, I've been craving scones and jam like nobody's business, so sometime this weekend I'll make whole grain scones with dried fruit to serve with hot tea. Yummmm....


This dreary weather makes me want to run away. I'm back to daydreaming about future trips, the sights, the food I'll enjoy, visiting friends near and far. Today I even started to miss my last semester of law school when I was in Manhattan. The reason? So I can get Halal food from a street cart! Good think I have family in and near NYC so when I just can't take it anymore I can hop a plane (or two) and visit.... In the meantime I'll just have to trudge through my work week and then do a little shopping. That always lifts my spirits, at least temporarily...


Cannelle the puppy dog isn't quite herself, once again. The first week we had her she developed a UTI. Antibiotics did the trick, but now she's having similar problems again. Poor baby. We've set her up so that she has access to water and puppy pads all day long. Hopefully whatever she's suffering from will pass on its own. If not, it's back to the vet for poor little Cannelle....


Juneau Cat is doing great in the new house. She has her designated cuddle times, usually when the puppy is playing in the yard and at bedtime. She also has a perch at the top of the stairs where she can watch the goings-on of the house in a very non-commital, cat-like way. She is the most perfect little companion and has put up with so much from us!


On the human health front: Leigh and I are both doing really well! Compared to the state we were both in about three weeks ago, I'm very proud of us. Leigh has been eating normally and has her energy back and I've been eating carefully about 80% of the time and have held my weight steady (10 pounds lighter since my diganosis!). I'd like to lose another 10 lbs before Christmas, so hopefully I can break my current plateau weight and start losing again. When ski season comes around I'll burn more calories everyday and tone up from playing in the snow. I want to lose the weight at a steady but slow pace so it stays off instead of fluctuating like it normally does. Most importantly, I'm hoping my blood tests come back with some positive changes to help guide my way to good health.

No comments:

Post a Comment