Monday, August 1, 2011

Getting Well and Catching the Travel Bug

This year has been a tought one for Leigh and I. We moved to Alaska with high hopes and a low bank account, set up house in a tiny apartment for nearly a year and then decided to buy a place. The new house is great, but with every step forward in life there is usually some hardship. Obtaining the house itself was no small feat, and this summer has been wrought with loss and stress. Leigh lost her father suddenly in May and she and I are both learning of some medical problems we've had for sometime but are just now learning about. In short, it's been a tough summer, not at all what we would have imagined a year ago, but we're getting through it one day at a time.

Today I took Leigh for a round of tests at her doctor's office. This trip was much-anticipated and yielded the expected results. We are hoping she'll find herself on the path to recovery and a better quality of life very soon. As for my test results, well I haven't heard anything back from my doctor yet, but it usually takes him about a week to call or write. I hope to hear from him soon though because I've used up my 30 supply of meds and would like to know what the game plan is from here on out. Hopefully, with some diligence, we'll both be on the mend and able to make long term plans very soon.

On a happier note, we've started zeroing in on some fun activities for the remaining warm weather. Right now we're planning to do some camping in Homer, AK in about two weeks. I think we will just load up the car and go, then find a camping spot when we get into town. Knowing me, I'll break down at the last minute and make some calls to get a sense of how crowded each camping ground is before we start driving. I just can't leave ANYTHING up to chance, can I?

We are also renting a cabin in Hope, AK for Labor Day. I made these reservations months ago (see above) and have been looking forward to it ever since! We're excited to take the puppy hiking and enjoy a campfire and some reading time. It should be relaxing and a nice break from "big city life" (as Alaskans tend to refer to Anchorage).

Speaking of trips and such, we are already super excited about Christmas this year. We've bought all of our plane tickets already and are making a game plan to have plenty of spending money for our 10 days off! We're flying into Orlando, then from Jacksonville to Virginia, then back to Anchorage. We'll get to visit Harry Potter world, my brother's family in Florida and maybe even walk on the beach, and then visit Leigh's family in Virginia for holiday dinners and relaxation. We're so excited to spend time with family and make time for some real vacation activities too.

This trip got us thinking about future trips. I decided a few weeks ago to take a solo trip before my second year of clerking ends. In the end I decided to fly to Europe on Condor in May 2012, visit a few new cities and some friends I made last year and spend a few days at Taizé. I'll likely couch surf most of the time and just enjoy wandering around a few European cities on my own. Plus, singing and praying with the monks is always a great way to spend a few days. This should be a great trip!

Then I got to thinking about how Leigh won't be able to go anywhere for a long time. She's had to take so much time off due to illness and family emergencies that it'll be over a year before she can take time off without owing it back. Then I started thinking about how much fun I had that last time I visited the UK and that Leigh is always saying she'd like to go there. Then it hit me, Christmas in the UK! Leigh got on board with this idea right away. We'll fly into London, visit some friends and see the sights, maybe take a side trip to Oxford or Manchester, then take the train to Scotland to Edinburgh and Glasgow. I'm also planning to see the Highlands in some fashion, either on our own or on a guided bus tour. It'll be cold and dreary, but isn't the UK ALWAYS cold and dreary (*wink*)? Regardless of weather, we'll enjoy the atmosphere, the food, the sights and the history for about two weeks.

Well, I guess I've been daydreaming a year ahead for long enough now. I really should focus on today some more. Work has been busier than normal and home has been so busy I can hardly catch my breath! Back to work so I can run home and finish up a few projects...

No comments:

Post a Comment