Thursday, August 18, 2011

Pre-Friday

Today is Thursday or, as I'm going to start saying, Pre-Friday. I'm really living for the weekends these days.

We've had terrible weather here lately, so yesterday I broke down and took Cannelle to puppy day camp at PetSmart. I also signed the stinky girl up for a bath and to have her nails done. When she came home she was in the weirdest mood! She wanted to stay in the yard all evening and wasn't interested in her daily cuddles. When we finally coaxed her inside for some hugs she got a little upset with us for touching her paws. It turns out that she did not enjoy having her nails filed by the PetSmart employees (according to the receipt). After giving it some thought, I'm sure that some dogs just don't enjoy the nail filing process, but it's also possible that the employees weren't as loving with her as I am when I groom her. She may have been a little upset with the process in general. So I will try to do her baths and grooming myself from now on. As for her nails, I'll just have them trim her the old fashioned way from now on to avoid future upset. Otherwise I think she really enjoyed the puppy camp! She was completely exhausted from playing all day and in good spirits after settling in. We will probably send her once a week or so, especially during the winter months, to make sure she gets plenty of socializing and exercise all year round.

Anyway, it was a fairly uneventful but also somewhat eventful Thursday. I got a lot of stupid little tasks done personally and professionally. I even found a new dentist and fired my old one (at least in my head) when his office manager was a total bitch in court today. I don't want to do business with people like that. Of course, I can't say anything to anyone about it, but I can cancel my future appointments and take my business elsewhere, so I did. Better yet, the new dentist I found fit me in about a week from now, is literally 2 blocks from my office, and is a woman, so that makes me happy. Leigh and I like to give our business to women professionals if we can.

Tonight we have plans to move a couch from our old apartment to the new house. This, along with some odds and ends, will truly be the last thing we have to do with the apartment (aside from replace a few lightbulbs). The last thing I want to do after work is move furniture, but it'll be nice to not have to worry about these things this weekend. Maybe I'll even have time to go hiking (*gasp*) or ride my bike or something fun like that. Or maybe I'll just buy a new iPod to replace the one that's totally dead now. Listening to Alaskan radio in my car every morning is getting old....

Earlier this week I had a great meeting with a partner at a smaller local firm. Nice guy, hard working, easy to talk to and from New York. The whole thing got me thinking about what I want to do next (not that I don't think about this all the time anyway) and it opened my eyes a lot. It's to the point now where my only stipulations on applying for a position are that it be for a private, civil practice somehow related to business. Broad category, no? But it's such a relief to feel comfortable with so many scenarios because it opens me up to lots of opportunities AND it leaves my future more unknown (inconnue, if you will). At this rate I'll be considering opportunities in Big Law, mid-sized regional firms, and even small local firms.

It also looks like there are many more civil firms with a business or corporate practice than I originally thought. This means I could be working on contracts, mergers, Native Corporations, etc. Practicing law in Anchorage is looking better and better and I can't wait to see what it gets me.

No comments:

Post a Comment