Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Wah!

This morning I thought today would be a nice day. I got up on time, packed up the camping stuff I had to return to school, was on time to the campus for my first lesson and everything. Then my day started by being told my first lesson was cancelled but the prof couldn't warn me because his apartment is now filled with toxic dust or something... geeze!

OK, its a totally valid excuse, but this meant I had to sit around from 10:00 to 14:00 for my first lesson. My lesson was disappointing, because the kids were lazy, and I had a short fuse with them. Then my next lesson, mandated enforcement tutoring (it's not as scary as it sounds) didnt happen because the students stood me up. Hey, their teacher makes them come see me for extra help and I show up, its not my fault they need the help and are supposed to stay after class for it! Anyway, my next lesson is going to happen because I have seen the teacher today, but this means I will spend 8 hours on campus today but will only have taught for 2 of them. Then people wonder why I feel bored and useless in my job???

On that note, I submitted a short letter to each of my profs today informing them that I was leaving a week early. The reactions I have seen are that they really dont care. Why, you ask? Because they are anglophones and they dont really need an assitante. What is more, they have not made use of my time or abilities all year, save for a few rare occasions, so my absence makes no difference to them whatsoever. In fact, the only reason I continue to go to work at this point is because I dont want to risk losing my last paycheck and I have nothing better to do between my trips around Europe, so I may as well show up and look like I am working.

I leave for London and my spring break extravaganza on Friday evening after work. Before then I have a lot of packing and such to do, but it shouldnt be too difficult. London should be really fun because Jescy has found us a house/cat-sitting job for the weekend so we will have a free house to stay in not too far from the city center by train. We are hoping to entice some friends from around Europe to come see us there too and make it a multinational event of sorts, but at such short notice I doubt that will be possible. Either way I am looking forward to some good food, exploring some of the city without a plan, getting a haircut agreed upon in my native language, and maybe hearing some live music before catching my train to Edinburgh.

Since I have completed my travel plans for this holiday I have started making progress on my Morocco trip. I found a place to stay on hostelbookers, but I am a little confused by it because the website only lists expensive hotel rooms. I emailed them with a question and they wrote back with a reservation for me! Yikes! Hopefully I can sort this out or find another place to stay soon. I am also stressing out because I can't find a convenient place to leave my luggage in Marseille while I am in Morocco. There is a hostel really close to the St. Charles train station (where I will catch my train to Paris the day I return from Morocco) but they said their luggage room is too small to keep my things for 4 days. There is also left luggage at the train station itself but I am pretty sure they limit storage to 72 hours, so that would not work. I am currrently at a loss of what to do next. Maybe I should leave it for a few days and deal with the issue when I am less irritated by life.

OK, one more hour of work then I get to go home, relax, eat something and start packing up my apartment. I should really stop whining now because, even on days like today I know I have it pretty good. Maybe I just need a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment