Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Work Weirdness

I had a pretty good day at work today. Tuesdays are really busy for me now that I see a tutoring student just after lunch. It works out perfectly that way so I don't have to make a special trip for the lesson and the poor girl doesn't have to have an extra lesson on her day off or at the end of the week. I also found out that all but one of my Friday lessons is cancelled due to the bac blanc (practice end of degree exam) and that all of my classes are cancelled for the Friday just before the printemps holiday. The latter news is especially good because that is also the day I move out of my apartment and the day I fly to London, so my schedule was just decompressed in a significant way.


One truly weird thing that happened today was when I saw a note in my mailbox at school. I thought it was from a prof whose class was cancelled today for an inexplicable reason. However, the note read as follows:

"Mlle Maas [sic]: En raison de oraux examens de section Espagnole nous auront vos ours de 11h - 12h dans la salle Ecrivain. Merci pour votre comprehension. Le CDI (bibliotheque)."


Translation:
"Ms. Maas [sic]: Due to the oral exams for the Spanish Section, we will have your bears from 11:00 to 12:00 in the Writer's Room. Thank you for your understanding. - The CDI (Library)."

Obviously the only truly weird part of this note is the reference to my bears. Just to clarify, I don't have any bears- real, stuffed, photos, etc. If I did have a bear of some sort, rest assured I would not bring it to school for any reason as my students are too old (i.e. too cool) to get any sort of kick out of such a thing.

I literally stared at that note for a good five minutes trying to figure out if I just couldn't read the person's handwriting very well. I tried substituting a letter here and there:
"gurs?"
"eors?"
"ouvs?"
None of those combinations create a proper French word. I was at a loss, so I asked another American to read it who agreed that the note does, indeed, refer to my bears.

Still at a loss all I could do was assume the note had been left to me by accident, as there is a prof at my school with the last name Maase. So I did what anyone would do and I left the note in her box so it could perplex her and, I am sure, then be placed back into my box. At some point in the near future there will be a group of bears waiting for someone in the Writer's Room from 11:00-12:00 and, I believe, nobody will show up to collect them.

3 comments:

  1. How bizarre. There are all sorts of grammar mistakes in the note too, but at least everything but the "ours" part is mostly comprehensible. Do you think it's meant to be "votre cours," like "your class"? Weird...

    Be careful around all those bears if you have to go to the Writer's Room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be fair, I didn't have the note in front of me when I typed this post, so some of the mistakes might be mine. However, I have noticed that the folks at my lycee speak/write very lazily and even admit to it, so I think the grammar mistakes are similar to those when writing lazily in English.

    There is no way this is about me or my class because I don't teach in the library, I have no connection to the Spanish Section, and I don't even teach lycee level during that time slot. It's just weird all around. The part about the bears just happens to be the weirdest part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like someone's crazy inside joke...Let us know if the note reappears in your box!

    ReplyDelete