Sunday, April 25, 2010

Marseille Part 2

Day 1 of my final insane travel plans began with more packing, checking out of my dorm at the CIV, and hauling my 100+ pounds of personal belongings to the school gates. From there I said my goodbyes to my Canadian Counterpart, who will be dutifully finishing out her final week at her three schools, and was transported to the Antibes train station by one of our favorite teachers from this year.

My really excellent day began with said teacher giving me a farewell card, complete with a postcard of a Chagall painting that she said reminds her of me. The painting is entitled La Lutte de Jacob et de l'Ange (The Wrestling of Jacob and the Angel). In the Bible, this story is about Jacob's return to Canaan where he was told that his brother Esau would meet him with an army of 400 men. Assuming the worst, Jacob prayed to God for help and sent gifts of cattle ahead to his brother. One night during his journey Jacob sent his family back across a river to retrieve their possessions and was left alone in communion with God. During the night an angel appeared to Jacob and they wrestled until daylight. Jacob was not defeated, so the Angel touched his thigh giving him a limp. Still Jacob demanded a blessing from the angel, and so the angel changed Jacob's name to mean "one who has prevailed with God." Jacob then renamed the place of this struggle saying, "I have seen God face to face and lived."

The teacher did not tell me why this painting reminded her of me, nor did she tell me the story. Being a Christian who has hardly read the Bible I had to Wiki it (I do intend to better educate myself on these topics soon). The story is interesting and I might read somethings into the gift, but I'm afraid those interpretations might be giving me too much credit. I think this story might require some additional study and reflection. The teacher also gave me part of a note written in French by a French Christian leader. I am still deciphering it for complete understanding, but so far it seems to be very inspirational calling Christians to lead complete, inclusive lives where they are satisfied with themselves and their time on Earth, thus making us all better members of the world community. Maybe I'm totally off the mark, I'll have to get back to you on this one.

After an uneventful train ride to Marseille I struggled through the Gare de St. Charles and the metro system with my three heavy bags and made it safely to my friend Becky's house. She was entertaining a fellow assistant from Seattle and soon another assistant from London popped over. We eventually went to see Alice in Wonderland, which was delightful, and I was very happy to be in good company.

In all an excellent day. Pretty soon I need to find my way to dreamland, however, as I have a rather early flight in the morning to FEZ! So exciting, so nerve-wracking! But I've heard so many stories of good travel experiences in Morocco, so overall I'm pretty pumped about this trip. As long as I can get to my Riad unscathed I think I will be just fine.

Until then, a bientot and wish me bon courage!

No comments:

Post a Comment