Friday, April 30, 2010

Paris (again)

Last night I arrived in Paris for my third visit since moving to Europe. Of course, I flew into Paris in October but only saw the airport, so that hardly counts! Anyway, I am flying out of Paris on Monday, but decided to make the trip up here with all my stuff a bit less stressful by coming a few days early, seeing some sights, and then leaving for the airport early Monday morning.

Yesterday was insane, but worked out just fine. I woke up early in Fez, Morocco and took a taxi to the airport. After a lot of waiting around (the airport wasn't really even open until 9am and security wouldn't let people through until 9:30!) I got on my plane and was in Marseille by 15:30. Then I took a shuttle bus to downtown Marseille and a metro to my friend Becky's apartment, who was kind enough to keep my massive suitcase and my smaller carry-on suitcase while I was on holiday. Becky, who had her 21st birthday yesterday, fed me a piece of pie and saw me off again within an hour of my arrival at her place. I took my large pack, giant suitcase and small suitcase through the metro (very carefully) to the train station to catch my TGV to Paris. Then I could relax a bit. Upon arrival in Paris I allowed myself to splurge on a 22 euro taxi ride to the apartment where I'm staying this weekend. I couldn't imagine trying to carry my suitcases up the metro stairs at 23:30!

Anyway, that was my very long day of traveling, carrying heavy stuff and spending money on transportation. I'm glad it's over. I'm couch surfing in Paris this weekend and my hostess is absolutely wonderful. She's about my age, maybe a few years older, works in advertising, and lives in a beautiful little apartment in the 17th arrondissement with a roommate whom I have yet to meet. She even provided me with a custom-made map and my own key so I can come and go as I like while I'm here. I couldn't have dreamed for a better housing situation this weekend, it's really a perfect way to relax a bit and feel comfortable after so much traveling and confusion.

Today is May Day in France, so I expect most things will be closed. However, I will still try to see and do some things I did not see last time. I just read about a park called Bois de Boulogne, near the University of Paris Dauphine, and I think I will go check it out because it will be open all the time. If that gets dull I'll just take a walk or maybe sit in a cafe for a bit. Hopefully I can find an English bookstore that is open today because I have nothing to read for my plane home on Monday. It would also be helpful to find a post office that is open, but even in the US (where we work ourselves to death) the post office is closed on public holidays, so I'm not holding my breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment