Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Spring Break Tour so far

On Friday I flew to London and stayed at a house in Surrey that Jescy was housesitting for a few days. It was a cute little house with an even cuter cat, LuLu. Each morning Jescy and I slept in, had tea, then meandered down to the train station and made our way to London. During our 3ish days there we went to the Tate Modern, visited Camden Gardens, had proper English tea, walked the Queens Walk, visited the Globe Theater (but only the bookstore), and took a boat trip to Greenwich with Jescy's Londoner friend Kate. We also did a bit of drinking in Greenwich, which was fun, and saw a terrible heavy metal show at a semi-famous pub at King's Cross, which turned out to be fun but also kind of a shit show.

On our last night in London Jescy and I slept at a hostel in King's Cross so we could get to our trains/planes easier the next morning. The place we chose was called Clink 261 and it really lived up to its name. Our beds cost £15 each and we knew they would be in big rooms. What we didn't know was that the room had about 18 bunk beds stuffed in a too small room so it wasn't just crowded but the person sleeping on either side of me was literrally sleeping NEXT to me. Jescy and I essentially shared our beds with 10 other people, male and female alike. Also turns out that the 35 years old age maximum is not followed at all because the next morning I found I had been sleeping within 2 feet of a man in his mid 50's. Needless to say we didn't sleep much and it's just lucky I had no need for much energy or cheeriness the next day.

On Tuesday morning I caught a train to Edinburgh, which took about 5 hours. Before getting on the train I went to WH Smith to replace yet another pair of headphones (I am cursed) and wound up with a very expensive pair of shitty headphones that actually cause pain, which I believe makes them the headphones from Hell. Anyway, they kept me mildly entertained if not a little annoyed during the trip and I also had time to read my new travel guide on Fes. By the time I got to Edinburgh I was pretty exhausted, but rallied long enough to wander around the city a tiny bit, which it turns out is very small and very easy to navigate. It was a bit rainy and I was really tired, so after eating something and having a pint I called it an early evening.

My hostel in Edinburgh is pretty nice and very comfy, which is amazing considering it only costs £9 per night. This morning I woke up with tons of energy and very happy to see the sun shining. I went on a Free Tour, which was lovely as usual, took lots of pictures, ate haggis, and did some gift shopping on the Royal Mile. Tomorrow I have plans to attend a service at St. John's Episcopal (just around the corner from my hostel) at 11am, then I will hike Arthurs Seat before finding my way to the (free admission) Scottish National Gallery.

Tomorrow evening I have plans to meet a friend from college and then turn in early again for my incredibly early flight on Friday morning to BERLIN! After having so many positive experiences meeting new German friends at Taize I am even more excited than before to visit this city. PLUS my dear friend from high school is living there now and it's been much too long since we have had a good visit. I am really enjoying Edinburgh and also so excited for the rest of my trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment