Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Post New Year Post

After Christmas I had about 4 days to myself while Leigh was visiting her family in Virginia. Now one might think I'd use this opportunity to party like a rock star, complete with loud music, drugs and wild, wild women. But no, I went to work, went to the gym (sometimes), came home and ate leftovers and indulged in my favorite TV shows that drive Leigh crazy (most especially, House Hunters International). I also watched some favorite old movies and generally kept to myself. Juneau the Cat and I started to miss Leigh almost immediately after she left, and by day 3 Juneau the Cat had decided she missed Leigh so much that I was no longer sufficient. It was a tough few days, but we got through it.

Due to weather and flight issues, Leigh made it home on time by the skin of her teeth. She landed in Houston for her layover a mere 15 minutes before her flight to Anchorage left. By some miracle she managed to get halfway across the airport and in her seat in time for takeoff! I was thrilled, not only because I missed her, but also because we had concert tickets for New Year's Eve and if she'd been stuck in Houston it's likely she wouldn't have gotten home until New Year's Day or later. But she DID make it, so all was right in the world.

New Year's Eve was a great day. We were both exhausted from our weeks (Leigh from visiting family and traveling 13 hours by air, me from work and such), so we took it easy most of the day and ran some errands. ARound 6pm we headed to the Bear Tooth Theater Pub for our dinner and concert. The opening act, Mel and Michelle, were really terrible. I like folk music, but this was just absurd. However, the Indigo Girls were a delight as always. I've seen them play live 4 times now in various venues and they never disappoint, but this was the best one yet! The evening was complete with yummy locally brewed beer, a nice atmosphere, party hats and noisemakers at midnight. Of all the places to be on New Year's in Anchorage, I think we made the best choice.

Now we're back to the daily grind: 5 day weeks, evenings at the gym (because we both ate waaaayyy too much during the holidays), errands, etc. The next thing we have to look forward to is our trip to Hawai'i in April, but even that is uncertain. We've purchased our flights and made reservations for a room and a car, but that was before Leigh started working as a tax processor. Now our trip is the week before April 15, tax season, and she hasn't cleared it with her new supervisor yet. We're crossing our fingers that everything turns out OK, but also preparing ourselves to have to shell out about $300 extra to change the dates of our reservations and flights. That would suck, but at least we'd still get to go and Leigh still has a job she enjoys.

In the end it's only money, I just wish I had a little bit more of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment