Monday, January 19, 2009

Florida?

My brother and his family live in Jacksonville, FL fairly near to the beach. I spoke with my sister-in-law this afternoon and she said I should come visit them with promises of my own room, bathroom, free food, plenty of freedom to do as I please, etc. Plus I'd get to visit my niece and nephew- that's always a good time. I did some preliminary research and found that there's a celebrated beach scene in the area even though it's northern Florida, and I could always rent a car to drive down the Atlantic coast for a few days to see other beaches, maybe do some camping. There's supposedly really great hiking nearby too. As for cost, it'll be about $150 to fly and my housing would be free. This leaves only activities and food/drink to be covered, which would be no problem considering I was willing to spend about $700 to go to Costa Rica.

In all it's a very nice second idea that I'm now batting around in my head. My only concern is that the other spring breakers/bar hoppers might be decidedly very hetero (I am totally OK with hanging out straight people at straight bars, but 100% hetero/"suburban" atmospheres are just not my thing) or very undergraduate, so I'd be lost for fun people to talk to. This is probably a stupid concern because everyone goes out on the town, to the beach, etc not just superstraight undergrad kids. I'll do some more research and think on it before making a final decision.

It would be really nice to save some money this semester that could go toward other future expenses and still get to enjoy the beach and get a tan. Clearly this would be a far less exciting proposition for me than going abroad on my own for the first time, but I'm sure I'll still have fun either way. I'm also feeling a little bit defeated by such worldly things as money, time, and language barriers/xenophobia in my willingness to so easily abandon my adventurous plans for something requiring far less courage.

On another, less selfish, point- I'm moving to Alaska pretty soon and this might be the last chance I get to see my brother and his family for a while, so that's something to consider as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment