Friday, January 16, 2009

Spring Break Poll

It's probably way too early to be doing a poll because I *might* have two people checking this blog at this point, but I can't help myself. I'm a complete extravert in the purely psychological definition meaning I cannot make a decision without getting input from others to help me weigh my options.

My goals for spring break are (no particular order):
  • Less than $500 to fly there (this means limited cities in Central and South America, most US territories, and the UK/NW Europe region during certain airline sales)
  • Fun, active stuff to do (water sports; hiking; touring cultural sites; hopefully a beach and sun, but not required)
  • Affordable food and drink
  • Generally safe for a female to travel alone
  • "Backpacker" style travel, no resorts, and I'd prefer to support local businesses rather than American-owned ones
  • Ability to see and do a lot in one week
  • A good place to visit in early to mid-March
I'm VERY open to other suggestions, as I've never gone anywhere for spring break but instead picked up extra hours at work, so I'm a Spring Break Virgin, so to speak. I'll be leaving this poll up indefinitely, but I would like to make a final decision within the next 2-3 weeks so I can book my flight and look into a hostel. 

4 comments:

  1. I would LOVE to go to Buenos Aires and there's even a direct flight from NYC (11 hours!), but the flight is $700+taxes. I'm hoping to not spend that much on flight, lodging, food, etc for my whole trip so that's not really an option this time around.

    However, Argentina is very near the top of my "Places To Go Before I Die" list. I'm thinking something in Europe in the fall (for work/play, not just touring) and then maybe South America a year or so later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd normally recommend somewhere in the UK, especially since you're looking for somewhere relatively safe to travel by yourself. However, it won't be sunny or warm in March. It will be freezing. And most likely raining. Trust me, I was in Scotland last August and almost went out to buy a coat. Also, with our economy sucking it's much more expensive over there than you would originally imagine. So go somewhere sunny and warm and wonderful! I'd say somewhere in Central/South America that's relatively cheap. I have friends who've been to Costa Rica and absolutely loved it, so money-wise and weather-wise, that'd be my vote!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sarah! I'm leaning toward Costa Rica myself because once I get there I can eat/sleep/do stuff for very cheap. The flights to San Jose are climbing steadily though, which kind of makes my wallet ache, but I have to keep reminding myself that it's the only spring break I'll ever take and if I spend more than I anticipated while there (which always happens) I can always try to earn it back when I get back to NYC.

    ReplyDelete