Sunday, January 11, 2009

Sunday moving and stuff

I've pretty much been moving apartments non-stop since November. First to my own place, which involved a lot of dividing up of things and downsizing, now from my own place to a room full of boxes at Leigh's apartment (sort of the staging area for my move to New York) and in about 3 weeks I'll be packing everything up for good to ship and flying to New York.

My current move is involving and incredible amount of giving away/selling of belongings. Most of the things I don't mind losing, (i.e. books I read once but wasn't enthralled with, a printer that works *most* of the time, clothing that I haven't worn in months) but last night I sold my Riot Turbo kayak, three VERY used whitewater paddles, kayak skirt, and possibly the men's size XL wetsuit that my dad decided I could have tailored to fit me (right, because tailors LOVE refitting neoprene and that's not at all more trouble that buying myself a women's sized one that actually fits..I digress...). 

If it all sells I'll get just shy of $300 for it, which is actually a profit on what I paid for each item, but I'm still really sad to see the Turbo go. I had hoped to get some good paddling in this spring with it and learn some basic skills feeling a little more stable in a bigger style whitewater boat, but alas my room in New York is just way too small. In fact, my queen sized futon will be very nearly wall to wall on all sides when I pull it out for sleeping, so there's not spare room. Hopefully renting/borrowing kayaks for roll practice and stuff won't be too difficult if I meet some nice people while I'm there. Supposedly there's a pretty extensive outdoorsy community in the NYC area, so I'm sure there's at least one kind soul who won't mind hanging out with a newbie like me.

The rest of my day will be spent unloading my car of all my stuff and doing homework for my class on Tuesday. This weekend is pretty much shot for any kind of fun, but I might be able to fit in a movie tonight if I get started soon.

1 comment:

  1. Lol funny you mention how people hate sewing neoprene, because I really was just complaining about that the other day. I have monogrammed it a few times but it shreds in the sewing machine and leaves flakes everywhere for DAYS...really annoying.

    I'm also in the process of packing up and moving, and it is soo tiring..people e-mail you sixteen different times saying they REALLY want something, then never show up when you make a special trip home to meet them...so irritating...

    I have blogspot account too, but don't know how to make it friends only so I dont' post much but I will try t add you...

    Ashlee

    ReplyDelete