Thursday, November 18, 2010

House Hunters International

My new obsession is a show on HGTV called House Hunters International. Basically the show follows people as they look at properties abroad. The people have various budgets and goals, they see a series of properties (the show includes three of the properties) and then the people choose one to buy. The show even follows up on the people after they've settled in. I love it. It records on my DVR every day (the show is on all the time) and I will sit and watch a few episodes in a row most days to get my travel/real estate fix. Leigh is usually pretty annoyed when I'm watching this because she knows, if left to my own devices, I will sit and watch this show all day long.

Lately the show has been featuring a lot of warm places like Costa Rica and Carribean islands. The Costa Rica shows have reminded me how much I loved it there and now I'm promising to take Leigh on vacation to CR sometime in the next few years. She'd love the scenery, beaches, whitewater rafting and hiking around the volcanoes. But last night there was an episode about a gay couple buying a house in Merida, Yucatan, Mexico. In 2006 Leigh and I took our first trip abroad together to Merida and then spent a few days on the Gulf Coast in Progreso, Mexico. It was a really fun trip. We knew Mexico was an affordable vacation spot for Americans, but until last night we didn't realize how affordable. The couple on the show bought an amazing large home with a gorgeous pool for just over $200,000 US. Needless to say this got us thinking...

Before being reminded of how great a time we had in Merida, we were talking about one day owning a beach house in South or Central America or maybe even buying an old stone house in Greece and fixing it up. Leigh wasnt' too thrilled about the Greece idea, but I thought it sounded really fun!

Anyway, now we've both agreed that our vacation home will be in Merida. For $150,000-$200,000 we can own a spacious 2 or 3 bedroom home with a courtyard, fountain and pool in a lovely colonial neighborhood, near markets and restaurants. It's an amazing city with old colonial homes and buildings, it's incredibly safe and not overcrowded at all. The city is home to universities, ex-pats, and traditional families. It's also known for the direct, white sunlight it receives year round and is only 35 minutes from the Gulf Coast and about 3 hours from the Carribean Coast. Merida is in the heart of the Puuc Route, a driving route that allows one to visit a series of Mayan Ruins. Basically, it's a safe, fun, cheap city near beautiful beaches. What more could we want?!


But dont' think for a second I've ruled out Europe. I still want to study International Business Management in France. I'd love to own an apartment in Berlin. It's an interesting city with lots of history, a great cultural scene complete with operas, art galleries, etc, home to Humboldt University, and many multinational companies and firms are now based out of Berlin. Anyway, if I happened to one day have a job that takes me to Berlin it would be a great place to own an apartment. Right now a very nice one or two bedroom apartment can be purchased in the heart of Berlin for under $100,000 US. If willing to live a bit outside the city or get a simpler place, apartments are sold in the city for as little as $55,000 US! This is unheard of in Europe!


Of course, I'll always be an American, so it's very likely my work will be in the US and I'll continue to travel often. So buying property in whatever city I lay down roots is of course an option too. However, if given half a chance I'd like for us to have a warm weather place in Merida, where we can drive to Mayan ruins and beaches for a little day journey, and a European apartment to immerse ourselves in the cultures we have come to really appreciate.

But for now, I have to get my career started from the bottom to have any hope of such dreams becoming reality. So back to work!

2 comments:

  1. buy a house in greece, and i will come visit you there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be great! Maybe when we're much older and ready to slow down for a bit she'll let me buy a fixer-upper in Greece. There are so many beautiful properties there for decent prices but they would require so much work! It would be a full time job for at least a few months to get it up to standards, but probably worth it since Greece is lovely... but for now, I'm pretty pleased with our Yucatan idea. It's such an interesting part of the world!

    ReplyDelete