Friday, November 26, 2010

Post Turkey Day Thoughts

Our first Alaskan Thanksgiving was a success, as far as I'm concerned. Leigh and cooked at home for ourselves, just the two of us. This required us to get out of bed on a holiday at a reasonable hour. Gasp! Anyway, we made everything ourselves including a 6 lb turkey breast with stuffing, side veggies, homemade whole grain mac'n'cheese, rolls, mashed potatoes, etc. I made a chocolate eclaire cake for our dessert (Leigh's mother's recipe), which was delicious. We ate around 2pm then met a work friend for our second viewing of Harry Potter, followed by more eating and digestion in front of the TV. In all it was a fun day of food and low key entertainment.

Today I had to go into work...boo! I really miss school holidays. Now, I'm not just saying "I miss school holidays" because I remember them being nice, what I mean is I'll often get a very intense sense of sadness and then realize it's because I should be having a school holiday coming up but it's actually only one day off mid-week followed by more of my daily grind. This is proving very difficult to get used to. But at least I have a massive portion of leftover mac'n'cheese for my lunch.

Now that I'm settled into work, routine, and home here in Anchorage, there are a few things I've been realizing I need:
- a good dentist. I have insurance now and would love a cleaning
- a winter sport (maybe skiing or ice skating?)
- non-work friends. My co-workers are very nice but we dont' relaly hang out and I'd love a life away from my job. I think Leigh seconds this motion.
- gay friends. I really took this for granted in previous places where I've lived. Sometimes the gay community can be really toxic, but overall it's nice to know people with whom I have some basic things in common.
- more short term goals/things to look forward to. Right now the most exciting thing I have to look forward to isn't until April (Hawaii trip). That's a long time to wait for something....

OK, that's all. Back to work and then le weekend!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment