Friday, October 22, 2010

Weird Week

Last week I was so looking forward to this week: Monday was Alaska Day, so the courts were closed and I had the day off. Three day weekend, four day work week. The I waste the long weekend being lazy and getting stupid stuff done aroudn the apartment. Monday kind of sucked because Leigh had to work and she wasnt' happy about that so she made sure I knew it. I went to work Tuesday as normal, but Wednesday I had to call in sick, which turned out to be a blessing. By mid-afternoon I was feeling better so I could work on my bicycle (which wasn't functioning properly), finish the 800 page history book on Europe in the 20th century that I started in MAY, and start a new book that is a much easier read. So, health restored as well as sanity.

So basically I've only worked three days this week, which sucks because I actually have a lot to do at work right now. Today I'm hitting the books pretty hard to get some stuff done before the weekend so I can relax. One of these days I'm going to use my weekend for good and not for gluttony and errands. How dull! In Europe I used my weekends to take train trips to Italy and Paris. Now I go to Costco and watch Netflix movies. What gives? I even have a car now so I could go on fun driving trips, but I don't. This needs to change.

One thing I have been thinking about a lot lately is going back to school. I'm enjoying having a paycheck, but it feels like Leigh and I are eternally in a transitional state. We really thought we'd feel like grownups now. Sure, we both earn money and have jobs, but Leigh hates her temping gig and my job is temporary by nature. Today Leigh has an appointment to talk to the advisors for the RN program at UAA. Hopefully she can get into classes right away and be working in nursing within the next 2 or 2 1/2 years. It will be great for her to have a job with mobility and options instead of scrounging around for work like most Americans do these days.

I feel similar in my own profession: in law having two BAs and a JD is typical and standing out in a pile of applications is challenging. I fear that my young age is going to make it hard for me to advance quickly in the type of work I really want. Plus I've been feeling pretty homesick for Europe (stupid, I know, but I can't help it) and really missing the sensation of living in a country where the language isn't English.

So I've decided to work in Alaska for 2 or 3 years and then go back to Europe for an MBA or International Masters (MIB). There are a handful of affordable programs taught primarily in English with a strong emphasis on second and third language acquisition. Most programs are one year, some are two years. I really like the two year programs because they're intensive and include internships. Plus in most of the EU student visa holders can work part time, so that's even more opportunity for me to make international connections. Leigh is totally on board with the idea, and pretty sick of me talking about it. The plan is for us to stay here and live pretty cheaply for a few years, start a savings account, etc. When the time comes we'll give up our apartment and sell the car (which will be paid off soon). I'll start school abroad and get an apartment by myself. Leigh wants to get into travel nursing, so she'll work in the US for 6 or 9 weeks then hang out with me at school between contracts.

I'm really glad I got this idea because 1) it gives me something to aim for and 2) now we have more than enough time to reach our personal and financial goals to make this happen (assuming it's still what we want in 2 years). The end result will be a unique degree and work experience for me, so hopefully it will set me apart from other applicants at home and abroad.

But for now, I have a job to do....

No comments:

Post a Comment