Monday, March 23, 2009

A lawyer, a doctor and school teacher

The last few days have been kind of rough, mostly in a physical sense. I made plans to go out with some new friends in Brooklyn on Saturday night. Through a series of events the plan changed and we found ourselves at Henrietta Hudson in Greenwich Village. As one of my new friends described it, this is the ultimate lesbian hookup bar. It's the "take me home and bite me" bar- whatever that means. 

Cutting to the chase, nobody took me home or bit me. I actually found the crowd there to be full of miscreants and party girls. The music was good and it was a better time than I've had at most bars, but I just wasn't feeling it. At one point in the night one of my new friends, who teaches English in Long Island and her friend is a pediatric neurologist, was aggressively stared down by a rather scary woman. Later we were joking about what would have happened if there had been a fight. The school teacher said, "well we have a lawyer, a doctor and a school teacher here and she's probably recently released from prison. I think the cops would give us the benefit of the doubt!"

I had 4 or 5 drinks over the course of 2 or 3 hours then went home on the subway. I woke up the next morning feeling like I'd been hit by a truck. What I thought was a very odd hangover (because I've never been truly hung over unless I had nearly drank my weight in alcohol the night before) turned out to be the beginnings of a relapse of the 2 week illness I had just prior to leaving for Costa Rica.

Anyway, I had made plans to do some work for my cousin on Sunday, so I struggled through that trying to stay awake and not cough on everything. I'm pretty sure after about 3 hours in his house he was ready for me to take my germs back to Harlem. I gave myself about 12 hours to sleep it off hoping to attend classes today, but when I woke up this morning that just wasn't going to happen. I slept until about noon and then started forcing my sore muscles to move, my eyes to focus, etc.

I blame living in NYC, riding subways, having people's germs all over me all the time, breathing nasty air, etc for these illnesses. Everyone in my class is or has been very ill since we've moved here and it's only been about 6 weeks! This only underlines my point that NYC is not a place for me to live long term. Even if I did want to share a small living space with 8 million other people, I wouldn't want to be sick all the time. 

So it's been a rough couple of days, hopefully the worst of it is over because I have a busy week. Tomorrow I have an important meeting for school and then a party to go to late at night (Bloc Party After Party!!!). Then Thursday morning I'm flying to Buffalo for a weekend with Leigh and Juneau and quick visits with B'lo friends. I have been promised a home cooked meal (yay!) and a Sabres game (double yay!) in addition to sleeping in a real bed and hugging my kitty cat. So I'm pretty excited about this upcoming visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment