Sunday, March 1, 2009

One Month In...

Today is March 1, so I have been living in New York City for exactly one month. So far things are going pretty well. I've become extremely familiar with the entire east side, minus the financial district (ironic, eh?) and am pretty comfortable with my surroundings in Harlem. Tonight I felt like walking so I walked from my apartment on 118th to 86 street where there is a Tasty D Lite. It was yummy and I felt good knowing I'd walked all the way there and then bought a "healthy" dessert to satisfy my sweet tooth. 

On Friday night I went out with some classmates to see a comedy show at the Comedy Cellar near Greenwich Village (I think it's technically the lower west side, but not entirely sure). The comedy was very entertaining and a little bit raunchy. I was pretty irritated by the Comedy Cellar itself though. It's possibly the most over-regulated establishment I have ever been to. 

The House Rules:
  1. You have to make a reservation to be put on a list, then stand in line and fight for a table even though you reserved ahead of time. 
  2. If your party exceeds 8 people you cannot get a reservation. 
  3. If you split your party into two smaller reservations or if the bouncer thinks you might be acquainted with another party in the line they will refuse your reservation. 
  4. There is a two drink minimum and a three drink maximum, so basically you pay an $18 cover charge for the comedy and then you may have one or two drinks. 
  5. You may not talk during the performance. 
  6. You may not leave the building without a stamped receipt that you paid your bill and tipped your waiter. 
In the end it wasn't really worth it, but I enjoyed hanging out with my classmates.

After the comedy show I asked my friends if they wanted to go to Lips, the drag bar in Greenwich Village. They were tipsy enough to agree to this idea, so we walked over the the Village and found Lips (miraculously since I didn't really remember where it was). The moment we walked in the door and I heard a drag queen singing a song about wishing she had a vagina, I became a little concerned that this was not the type of evening my friends had in mind. After getting settled and ordering drinks everyone just started taking it all in and seemed to enjoy themselves. 


Britten and I


There was a drag queen selling balloon "animals" in naughty shapes. I bought one for Laura (because she was pretty hammered) and then Britten talked me into getting one for myself.


Classes are going pretty well, though I'm becoming concerned about our group projects. Without a constant professor supervising us nobody is really sure what stage we should be at in our work. So my group just keeps reading articles and batting around ideas. Hopefully we'll have a break through this week so we can start putting together an outline/timeline for our work.

Spring Break starts on Friday (because we don't have class on Friday) and I fly for San Jose, Costa Rica on Friday morning around 5:45 am! I've finally finished my provisional shopping (towel, bathing suit, first aid supplies, a purse that can't be pick-pocketed quite as easily) and am mostly packed. My backpack is a bit heavier than I would like so I might try to downsize, but it's already pretty minimalist. I'll have internet access at my hostels so hopefully I can post a few updates while I'm away, but the pictures will have to wait until I return.

Well, that's all for now. I should probably get some reading done for tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. I hope the comedians were at least funny...that is interesting that they require you to prove that you tipped...I think that might lead to pissed off customers and lower tips..I might write about that one day...

    Have fun on your trip and I love the pictures you posted with this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a funny show and the whole night was a lot of fun because I was with a great group of ladies. The tipping wasn't exactly mandatory, but the bill listed the price of our cover charges and drinks and then below that total had a "suggested total" that included 15% gratuity. I would normally leave closer to 20%, but after being manhandled all night by the establishment I figured I'd give them exactly what they asked for. We did have to have our final receipt stamped and verified prior to leaving the building though.

    ReplyDelete