Friday, March 13, 2009

Pura Vida

First, my apologies for not posting at all this week regarding my trip to Costa Rica. I'm pretty sure the posts would have been more detailed had I been able to write every few days rather than posting one or two general posts at the end of the trip. My excuses for my delinquency are as follows:
1- the internet here isn't great, mostly because i'm using free services at hostels
2- spanish language keyboards are a pain in the ass.
3- i was too busy playing outside to write much. this is definitely a place of being in the moment and enjoying the people around you rather than reflecting on the days' events. there's little time for reflection when there is always something to see or do or someone new to meet.

that said, i'll save my actual stories for when i get back to the states and back to my own computer. i'm in san jose right now waiting for an airport shuttle and will be in new york city around midnight.

here is a rundown of my trip in short (this is mostly as a reminder to myself for when i write this up properly):

places visited:
1- san jose, just for flying in and out purposes and getting settled. there's not much here for visitors.
2- la fortuna, originally to see volcan arenal, but the weather was total shit so i just used it as a transfer point and a place to sleep. cute town though...
3- monteverde, in the cloud forest. went for a nature hike and spent time with some new friends.
4- playa jaco, easily one of the most satisfying places i've ever visited. lots of fun in the sun including swimming and surfing. lots of really cool people that i'm very pleased to now call my friends.

accomplishments/injuries:
accomplishments: rafted the pacuare, hiked in the cloud forest, learned to surf, spent very little on souvenirs, made lots of new friends and traveled with them, successfully backpacked through a foreign country on my own without speaking the language or spending too much, avoided being scammed/robbed throughout the trip (this was a real concern as it has happened to me on other trips- so gullible!)
injuries: sunburn, a cut on the bottom of my foot from hiking/rafting, really red sunburns on the backs of my hands and a rub/bruise thing i can only assume is a typical surfing injury from gripping the rails too hard

details (and pictures!) on all of this later. for now i'm just going to chill out and enjoy my last few hours of central american weather and sunshine. back to the busy, dirty city tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment