Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Illness, Extensions, and the Ivy League

Basically all of last week I was sick. Not so sick to miss school, except for one day, but sick enough to be uncomfortable and reliant on throat lozenges, green tea, and theraflu for comfort. I was also sleeping a lot and certain that one day I would wake up and be all better. 

I was well enough to go to RebLaw, the Rebellious Lawyering Conference, at Yale University. I'd been looking forward to RebLaw since I learned about it last year but could not go because it conflicted with my cousin's wedding. My voice was a little froggy and I was coughing a lot, but I felt well enough to travel and attend the conference anyway.

RebLaw is awesome because it's put together by students in every way. Yale students are corralled to "volunteer" to host visiting students including showing us around New Haven, giving us a place to sleep, etc. I stayed with a very sweet girl who is a 1L this year and met a few of her friends. Aside from the coughing and feeling rundown I had a great weekend. Everyone I met was extremely nice and welcoming and I was impressed by how passionate everyone was about different issues. The panels put together for the weekend were diverse in topic and the members were impressive in their accomplishments. It was really exciting to hear about the type of work being done these days. 

By the time I got back to NYC on Sunday afternoon I was completely wiped out. I dropped my overnight bag on the floor and immediately took a 2 hour nap. By the time I woke up I already had a raging fever, swollen lymph nodes, and body aches. I started to get scared that something was really wrong so of course called Leigh in tears. After being told to calm down and that I would be OK, I took some medicine and passed out until nearly midday Monday. My fever broke sometime Monday afternoon and by this morning I was back in school. Today, after being sick for the better part of two weeks, I went to a walk-in clinic in the back of a Duane Reed Pharmacy to get antibiotics. Hopefully that will take care of things.

Now I'm less than two weeks away from flying for Costa Rica and I'm a little behind in classes because of being sick. I'm also completely unprepared for my trip at this point because I have yet to make a packing list, buy a bathing suit, etc. Really the only thing I have is my passport! I should probably get on the ball or else this will end up being a very frustrating two weeks leading up to a sub-par vacation...

OK, back to work so I can get my past due homework assignment done...or perhaps a nap first???

1 comment:

  1. I hope you feel better, I would tell you to try to rest but I know that it probably isn't possible to get more than usual with everything you have going on. I wish there was something I could do to help!

    PS I really, really appreciate you listening to me vent the other night

    ReplyDelete