Thursday, February 12, 2009

First Full Week of Classes

Classes started Monday and things went pretty well. We were told this would be the most hectic week getting settled and running around the city a lot. We had lots of appointments, met with sponsors and mentors, had orientation to our "campus" and were given a number of small assignments. 

My group's sponsor meeting could have gone better- we were unprepared and did not take the opportunity to let our sponsor get to know us at all. Hopefully next time will be more fruitful. I'm also hoping that once we've worked out the initial kinks in our individual situations getting settled in the city that everyone will be equally on board and enthusiastic about the work we're doing here. 

I think I'm going to enjoy this program quite a bit. Both my individual and group projects are mostly left up to my own tastes, so I get to pick most of the topic areas based on current events and what I'm interested in. So far the greatest challenge has been not freezing under the pressure of trying to not look stupid in front of really smart people and remembering to read the Wall Street Journal every morning. Ideally I'd purchase the paper on my way to the subway each morning, but Spanish Harlem is noticeably void of newsstands and the Wall Street Journal in general. Perhaps this weekend I will go newsstand hunting and then change my morning route to the 6 Train. 

No comments:

Post a Comment