Sunday, February 8, 2009

Curry

Over the past two days I have completely stocked the kitchen here in NYC. My goal is not to test the cubic volume of the pantry and refrigerator, but to encourage me to eat at home a lot this semester and save my money for more important uses or unforeseen expenses/emergencies. I bought about $180 of bulk items at Costco and then hit up Whole Foods for more detailed items or things that should never be bought in bulk (ex: curry paste). 

Tonight I cooked my first full meal here and it was, well, disappointing. I made a Thai style red curry with chicken and mixed vegetables and rice. The rice was OK, which I expected because it's the cheap kind, and the ingredients were fine on their own. I am fairly certain that my downfall came when  I thought the coconut milk was too thick for my own good and added a bit of water to it. This was supposed to thin the milk a little and make the curry last longer for leftovers. I also expected some of the water to evaporate during the cooking process. Instead I have watered down red curry that is not spicy at all with sub-par rice. Very disappointing.

Of course I will eat the leftovers even though they offer very little satisfaction. For one thing, I'm too cheap to waste that much food (there's at least enough for lunch tomorrow and dinner) and it's a little bit like punishing myself for thinking I was smarter than the Thai Kitchen Brand people who put the recipe on the back of the jar. Seriously, you'd think I'd never made curry before! Oh well, at least my tummy is full...

In other news, my classes with the UB in NYC program start tomorrow. I plan to leave here pretty early so I can get to the building where our courses are held well in advance. The idea of getting turned around or held up in transit really freaks me out. Nothing worse that being late on your first day of something new.....

No bites on the NYC part time job front yet. It may turn out that I don't hold down anything consistent this semester but work odd jobs instead (if those are even available). At this point I may just hold out until I get back from Spring Break to find a job waiting tables or something similar. I'm still checking Craigslist on a regular basis though...

No comments:

Post a Comment