Tuesday, February 3, 2009

the diet that wasn't

Today I went to the west side (I think) nearish to SoHo to take government assessment test. Basically it was testing to make sure I can spell, pick out a good sentence, and follow instructions without ruffling feathers. There was also a section that tests to make sure I can make inferences based on a set of facts that is both unverified and wanting for additional details without asking the necessary questions to fill in those details. 

I just noticed that the last sentence is as cryptic as the method of testing I am complaining about...

It snowed today, my first New York City snow. For some reason I only equate large falling snow flakes coupled with gusts of wind with Buffalo, so now I can say without hesitation that it snows that way all over New York State, however the snow refuses to stick for any real length of time in NYC. 

Being Emily, I got to the test site (which is a typical government building that makes me feel sorry for government employees) around 11:15, about 45 minutes early. I planned to find a comfy spot in a waiting area and read over the prep materials. Instead I was informed by the security guard that there is no waiting area and the room where I was being tested was booked until 11:30 and that I should go sit in McDonalds to keep warm. Um, ok... So I went to Chipotle and found a seat near the window where I could keep warm and watch the snow fall. Not 5 minutes later another law student from UB passed by, came in to sit with me for a while. That was a nice way to pass the time. 

The test lasted about 3.5 hours and was just like every other thinly veiled personality/general intelligence test. I think I did well except for the grammar because the questions were not well-written and I've never been completely clear about picking out "passive voice" sentences. Also, I'm wondering if rating myself as "above average" or "superior" in all positive leadership and productivity traits is going to act in my favor or make me look like an asshole... only time will tell (which is about 4 weeks, in this case).

I rushed home after the test on the off chance that UPS did not lose my packages and would deliver them around 5pm as I assumed they would. After 5pm I called UPS to annoy them further with my pleas to deliver my items and spent 45 minutes on the phone with a very nice and capable young lady (the first UPS employee I've encountered so far who gives a shit). After getting off the phone with her apologizing that my packages could not be located in their system the UPS guy buzzed my apartment from the front door with one of my two long lost boxes. I spent the rest of the evening unpacking and organizing my room, which is starting to feel really homey (pictures to come as soon as it's ready). 

I call this post "the diet that wasn't" because of my eating habits today. Yesterday I had my first "SpaHa" (I kind of hate that term) grocery store experience and it was actually more difficult than when I bought groceries made by foreign brands in Merida, Mexico using pesos and very, very broken Spanish. By the end of this shopping trip I had acquired a gallon of milk, 1.5 dozen eggs, a few bagels, a can of pineapple, a can of Mandarin oranges and a box of Kashi cereal (total: $16). 

Today I ate 3 bowls of cereal, the bagel and four eggs (hard boiled) over the course of roughly 18 hours. Needless to say I'm feeling unsatisfied but also happy to have had a seemingly low calorie day. So the moral of the story is that if you live in New York City, you're too lazy to make another trip to the grocery store, AND you've run out of cash so you can hit up the restaurant downstairs you will in fact lost weight through lack of motivation and laziness.

However, I have a Costco run planned with Paul tomorrow evening, so I am fairly certain I'll be eating full meals of a semi-regular basis from now on. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to rely on walking, working out, and yoga to stay healthy just like everyone else...

1 comment:

  1. Hooray for one box!!! Hopefully the other will show up this week.

    ReplyDelete