Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Quietest Apartment in Harlem

A few days ago my roommate came down with a nasty flu complete with high temperatures and slight delirium. The next day I started getting something similar, minus the high temperatures. I spent about 80% of last weekend in bed snoozing and reading trying to nip it in the bud. As of yesterday I had overcome the body aches and upset tummy and was left with the sniffles, sore throat and a froggy voice. I thought I was in the clear.

But no, I wake up this morning a complete mute. All day I cannot participate in class, I have to get a friend to order for me at Starbucks, and I'm bumming throat lozenges and tissues left and right. I can't even squeak. 

When I get home my roommate had come home early from work, still feeling a little ill. Turns out she has no voice either, but sometimes she can squeak and even croak out an audible word. At one point I had to text her to ask if she wanted in on the hot water I'd made for tea. 

Pathetic? Just a little.

Later we went to the dirty little Chinese takeout place on 3rd Ave. The other day I discovered a magical won ton soup that cures ailments for $2.50 per quart and have decided to give it another shot. With my roommate's help ordering the soup I am now in my room working on my second bowl of steamy broth and filled chinese pastas...yum.

If my voice doesn't come back at least I got a good dinner out of it. 

1 comment:

  1. I hope you feel better soon and happy late birthday!

    ~ashlee

    ReplyDelete