Sunday, July 19, 2009

Surprisingly Fun

Today was surprisingly fun. I did my usual "I don't wanna get up" thing this morning where I keep rolling over and drifting off. It's not fatigue or laziness, no, it's the mere fact that I know once I get my day started it'll be more studying complete with achy shoulders hunched over my books and feeling at least mildly inadequate. Today I bummed around until about 11:30. Then I realized I really had to get started.

I had my first real meal in about a week or so by going to New Sagaya's for a lunch of Chinese food. It's really good stuff and not too pricey so that was a nice way to start out. Then I headed over to the UAA Consortium Library to study where I found new Bar study friends Leslie and Leif. We chatted for a few minutes before I let them get back to work and started my own homework. It was nice to have a conversation and see how other Bar prep folks were getting along. Needless to say it's consoling to find out I'm not the only one who just wants to be put out of my misery.

My Evidence assignments went pretty quickly so I let myself have a break around 4:30 by seeing a movie. All that was playing before 6pm was Bruno. It was funny but not great. It wasn't as funny or as disgusting as Borat but I honestly believe there is an underlying political/social message about discrimination against LGBT people. By the end of the movie I got the sense that it was trying to depict that homophobia is a trait of "lesser mortals" by showing that the only people with true knee-jerk reactions of fear and hatred are not, shall we say, high-minded nor quality individuals. It even showed how, when faced with "gay" situations, these folks don't even stop to think about what they're doing but just start cursing, gasping, become violent and even cry (yes, there was a big, gross redneck guy at a wrestling match CRYING because he saw something "gay"). If this message was even there it was buried deep under crass, little boy humor, but it was there nonetheless.

Anyway, by this time it was 7pm and I figured I'd delay my 105th meal of chicken fingers and baked french fries by hitting up KFC for some carbs and grilled chicken. It was just OK, but I was mostly glad it wasn't fingers and fries again.

In all I really needed a bit of fun today. Tomorrow I think I'll go back to the Consortium Library so I'll have a quiet, clean, well-lit and distraction-free space to take my 3 hour practice test. After that I should probably study some old material I've been putting off but I might just do something fun like go for a walk downtown or something else that involves fresh air and not sitting down.

I also started planning my trip to Seward. I've decided to drive down early on the morning of July 31 and come back the evening of August 1. My plans include staying at the Moby Dick Hostle ($20), visiting Exit Glacier and hiking the trail up to the glacier, visiting the Alaska Sea Life Center (where my best friend from childhood worked last summer but I sadly was not able to visit her then), and possibly taking a ranger-lead hike through Harding Icefield before heading back to Anchorage. I also understand that there are a few great coffeehouses in Seward with bookstores and artist exhibits attached plus some great restaurants with lots of seafood and beer selections. Based on the pictures online, Seward looks really adorable with weathered buildings and raised planked sidewalks near the water. Sounds like my kind of place.

I'm very excited to celebrate the bar exam being over by taking this little trip by myself and getting some time outdoors. My flight to Seattle leaves in the middle of the night on August 2 (1am on August 3, actually), so I'll likely spend the 2nd packing and cleaning and generally tying up loose ends around town.

Well, I should probably get to sleep so I don't waste all of tomorrow being groggy. I'm just about in the homestretch. Here's hoping the rest of my time here goes smoothly and I can put all of this mess behind me!

No comments:

Post a Comment