Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Arrived in Anchorage

My flight got into Anchorage at 2pm yesterday, about 30 minutes late. Apparently Canadians are even really nice when it comes to waiting for late passengers to board the plane, so we waited for some people coming in from Toronto on another flight (the later one I almost booked) so they could catch the only flight to Anchorage yesterday. Anyway, we were a smidge behind schedule.

Class went off without a hitch yesterday. I gobbled down some food on the way to the campus, got the classroom key and went to town setting up the room for everyone. The people at BarBri had me scared that all sorts of things would go wrong and that it would be a really tough job. Seriously? I just unpacked boxes and checked people off a list. No big deal. 

Anyway, after yesterday hauling around 85 lbs of luggage and then a stack of boxes taller than me I'm pretty sore now. I got home at about 8pm AST and was completely asleep by 9pm AST (1am EST). All told I had a 21 hour day yesterday, complete with physical exertion and having to concentrate on a class. Crazy! I slept until 9am AST, or about 1pm today, which sounds about right for the kind of day I had yesterday.

Now I actually have a lot of things to do today: set up my living space here in Anchorage, go to Costco for some basic stuff, and I should set aside about 8 hours to study for class tonight (this might be overkill in the early stages of the class, but I'm a little paranoid about passing the bar the first time). 

By the way, for all of you nay sayers out there- A study was conducted a few years ago that found that the Alaska Bar Exam ranked approximately second hardest in the nation. Not New York, Alaska! The reason for this is that, prior to 1983, the Alaska bar did not write its own test but instead required attorneys to take and pass the California bar exam at California standards. Today the Alaska Bar writes its own test, but follows similar principals in the writing process (they test over 2 1/2 days, not just two days, etc). Luckily Alaska has gone to extra lengths to ensure that the grading is as fair as possible, but also doesn't budge if you are half a point away from passing, etc. Anyway, I'm a little nervous and have decided to study my ass off for the next two months.

But first I should go to Costco because I'm hungry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment