Monday, June 1, 2009

Buffalo-Toronto-Vancouver-Anchorage

Yesterday morning Leigh and I left Buffalo for Toronto so I could catch my 6:30am flight this morning to Anchorage. We got a dirt cheap, but nice, hotel room near the airport and had plans to run into Toronto to walk around and enjoy the nice weather before going to bed early. 

Leigh and I have driven across the border many, many times in the past 3 years, but yesterday was a special day. Yesterday Leigh was cranky and hungry and I was impatient while driving. As we approached Peace Bridge some idiot stopped in the right turn only lane toward Peace Bridge with no intention on going right. So I did what any reasonable Buffalo driver would do: I created a lane on the shoulder of the road and drove over the curb a little bit to get around him. This didn't save me any time, but whatever, I was right and he was wrong! Leigh yelled at me for going around him I told her to shut up because she was being a brat, etc.

About 5 minutes later we're in line for the border and other drivers start telling us we have a flat tire. Fantastic. So we have just enough air to get through the border then pull over. Since it was my fault I had to hoof it across the four-lane highway and find a very, very nice border worker to help me get to Canadian Tire and replace the thing. Grand total of $130CAD just because I was impatient. Grr...

Anyway, that was pretty exhausting so we nixed the going into Toronto idea. Instead we just hung out at the hotel near the airport and went to a restaurant called Arizona or something. We didn't know this beforehand, but it's basically a Hooters with really mediocre food. The waitresses obviously work there during the afternoons and then walk 3 doors down to a strip club called The Landing Strip to finish out the night (I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried).

This morning we woke up at 4:30 am and I was in line at the airport by 5:15 or so. I must say this: I love Canada and generally think that Canadians do most things better than Americans. However, Canadian airports are really disorganized and confusing. This morning I was hauling around about 85 lbs of luggage and every time I got into a line I'd be sent to another line. Seriously?! Can't I just get into ONE line, drop off my stuff and go on with my life? 

Anyway, the flight to Vancouver was uneventful and long. I slept for about 2 hours of it, maybe longer. Then I made my way through US customs (in Vancouver, weird) and bought a bagel at Tim Hortons (oddly enough, the bagels are not the same!). My flight to Anchorage seems to be on schedule in spite of reports I've received the past few weeks of volcanic activity causing visibility issues. With any luck I'll be in Alaska by 1:30pm AST and may even have time to fit in a short nap before going to my first BarBri lecture/first day of work as course administrator at 4pm AST. 

More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment