Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Stutter Starts

Yesterday was a crazy busy/accomplished day. I was out of bed and doing stuff by 9am, which was the first time I was alert at that hour since flying up here. As an aside, this is a bit odd because Alaska is 4 hours BEHIND the east coast, which means you would think I'd be an "early to bed, early to rise" kinda girl in the first few weeks. That's how it was last summer. I would wake up naturally at 5:30 am and start my day then totally crash by about 9pm. Anyway, for some reason my body is just not having any of that this summer...

OK, so up by 9am and doing stuff. By 11 I had already put a small dent in my studying and was at UAA for the 11:30 lap swim. I swam a mile total (with many, many breaks), which I thought was a good starting point for completing the 1 mile Emerald City swim in Seattle in August. After my swim I took the UAA shuttle to University Center to finish studying and prep for my class that night (as course administrator I have to do some basic prepping and I get keys to the room, so it's a nice place to study alone sometimes). 

I finish ALL of my work for my class except for 2 or 3 multiple choice questions that I just couldn't quite fit into the afternoon before my 6pm class. At this point I was DYING for some coffee but didn't know where to get any without getting back into the car and hunting down an espresso stand. So I toughed it out, even through the essay writing workshop we had last night. By the time I got home I was literally collapsing and slept in this morning.

Today I let myself sleep until a little after 10am. My body was so tired from my first swim in 6 months and my brain was tired from writing essays and breaking down property rights on practice MBEs. I did the bare minimum amount of work to prep for class tonight, did NOT swim this afternoon, and then attended class. Now I'm home and feeling guilty for 1) failing, once again, to make flashcards for Alaska Family law, 2) failing to go to the pool on Day 2 of swimming and 3) eating two really yummy cookies I bought at Costco this week (since it's Costco I had to buy A LOT of cookies and they are GOOD. I tell myself I have to eat a few every day so they don't get stale and my purchase was not done in vain- nice rationalization, eh?).  The good news is that I feel much more rested today than yesterday and I discovered a coffee place that is walking distance from my class, and the coffee is pretty cheap too! 

So yeah, hopefully tomorrow I will get back into the pool and do ALL of my homework. Hopefully this weekend I will have a chance to do something genuinely fun to give my mind a rest and remind myself that I am, in fact, in Alaska during this incredibly beautiful summer. Hopefully I will find time and energy to learn all of this material and pass this fucking test the first time so that I never, ever have to do this again.

On that note, I have some property review waiting for me and perhaps some criminal law as well, though I'm sure my bed will beckon me before getting to all of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment