Sunday, June 7, 2009

Missing Person

A guy I went to high school with has recently announced on Facebook that his little sister has been missing for over a week. It think she's about 20 years old or so. She drove away from her family's home in idyllic Abingdon, VA 9 days ago and hasn't been heard from since. Everyone in the community and friends of the family (even those as distant as myself) are really freaked out about it, not only because it's really scary and sad for their family but also because it brings these kinds of events really close to home. This wasn't a kidnapping or disappearance in a major city. It's a complete mystery right now because Abingdon is a tiny, nearly crime-free community in southwest Virginia and all of the surrounding cities are extremely safe too. 

Anyway, this has been on my mind for a few days since I heard about it and just felt like sharing. It's so sad and scary. I really feel for the family and hope this results in a happy ending. 

Edit: This was posted today:
"A[xxx] finally got in touch with us today. She is fine. Apparently she got a new job that involves some traveling and didn't want to tell us until she knew it was a sure thing. As you can imagine I am as angry as I am relieved. I am sorry to have made such a big deal out of it but when someone you love goes missing for 8 days you have to do anything in your power to figure out why. Thanks again for your kind words and prayers!"

No comments:

Post a Comment