Monday, June 29, 2009

Operating at 50%

Today I concluded that I have, unwittingly and unintentionally, been on a mental vacation for about the past week. I have been allowing myself to sleep until 9am almost daily, ignoring my BarBri homework in lieu of my own "assignments" to myself (which are obviously less rigorous than the BarBri homework), and taking "study breaks" to do things like plan my year abroad.

This is clearly not the best and highest use of myself or my bar study summer. Rather than keeping my nose to the grindstone and making sure I only have to do this once, I've been goofing off and making excuses for myself. I even had the nerve to ask Leigh if she would come back up here with me next summer if I had to study for and retake the exam. I am a little ashamed of myself.

I came to this conclusion today when I realized that I most consistently operate at about 50% accuracy in practice questions. Sometimes I'll really nail it by getting 14/18 questions correct or by writing an essay that hits all the high points and several "bonus" points too. More often than not, however, I do just well enough to not feel like an idiot and not quite well enough to feel like I have a strong certainty of passing this test.

So starting tomorrow I'm getting back in the saddle. I need to keep up with my BarBri assignments and try to make up for lost time by really focusing on multi-state practice questions (from what I can understand of the grading process, the MBE alone can make a major difference in having a passing scaled score). Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment